Saturday, March 04, 2006

How to See the World on a .200 Average

I spent my youth dreaming of becoming a professional baseball player. I spent my days at the ballpark and my evenings pounding my fist into my mit. I had a respectable college career but it was obvious looking back that I wasn't Big League material. I was slow, small, and not nearly athletic enough to compete at a professional level. I worked hard however and landed an opportunity with a independent minor league in the Frontier League. That didn't last long as I injured my rotator cuff resulting in surgery and thoughts of a career change.

Throughout college I had worked at Metrodome in Minneapolis as a groundskeeper and I loved it. Working on the field every day and being in the professional sports environment was a passion that I still hold today. So I enrolled at the University of Minnesota to study turf management and gain work experience with the athletic facilities department.

One night while killing time in the athletic facilities department in the basement office of the football complex I came across a job posting in Sweden for a player/manager. I was curious and applied thinking that if my arm wasn't healthy I simply wouldn't play myself, besides how good could they be in Sweden. It was a chance to see someplace new and continue playing.

Sweden turned out to be a great experience. The level of competition wasn't fantastic but it was adequate. Since I left, the Swedes have enjoyed success internationally by qualifying for the European Championship A Pool and participating in last years Baseball World Cup.

Sweden was the first step in what became a three year baseball journey around the planet. My next step was on the other side of the world in Brisbane, Australia. I spent a season playing for Rapids Baseball Club on the outskirts of the city and only an hour drive from the Surfers Paradise. It was here that I met my Norwegian girlfriend.

Motivated by my new found love I ventured back toward Europe for a season in the German Bundesliga with the Cologne Cardinals. After a very interesting season in Germany I moved back to Minnesota where I spent a few months working for the Minnesota House of Representatives. One day while eating my lunch on the steps of the State Office Building I saw an article about a young Dutch pitcher who had signed with the Minnesota Twins. I made a few phone calls, sent out some resumes, and two weeks later I was back in Cologne managing the Cardinals and working as an international scout for a Major League organization.

I now make my home in Oslo, Norway alongside my lovely girlfriend. I coach the Norwegian National Team part-time and scout throughout Europe most of the summer.

Travelling the planet and being able to do it while working in a game I love has been a great thing. I guess this blog is a way of sharing those experiences as I go along.

A friend of mine who has had similar experiences to mine once told me of his plans to share his adventures in a book. He wanted to call it, 'How to See the World on a .200 Batting Average'. Well, I don't know if I was that bad a hitter, but I have been to some pretty cool places with more yet to come.

I'd love it if you would all join me along the way.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, the book title should be; "How To See The World On A .200 Batting Average".

Monday, March 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home