The Blandness of America
Every time I visit the U.S. I notice more and more things that I simply didn't realize when I lived there. I know what you're thinking...duh! It is inevitable when one changes environments and returns to their old premises they will notice all the changes, mostly the negative ones.
On this trip I am enroute to Mexico for a tournament. The trip featured a one night layover in Miami with a connection in Houston the following day before arriving in Ixtapa, Mexico. While gliding over the scenic coast of the Gulf of Mexico I couldn't help but to notice the multitude of pre-fabricated homes built in neslted communities each featuring a cul de sac and manicured green lawns and nicely paved driveways. Growing up I rode my bicycle through neighborhoods like this thinking that this was where the rich people lived. Now I simply laugh at the notion.
I find it odd in a country where people at one time seemed so frightened of communism, that now they all live in a world where almost everything looks the same every place you go.
Every shopping center features Borders Books or Barnes and Noble, Starbucks or Caribou Coffee, Tommy Hilfiger or Ralph Lauren. Shopping malls lined with miles and miles of yellow painted parking spots sheltered by nothing.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy many of the beautiful conveniences and pleasures that these places have to offer. I'm one to visit starbucks.com before any trip to find the nearest location so I can consume my favorite mocha or Estema blend and I can't get enough of chipotle's chicken burittos when I make a stop in the States.
My question is, what the hell happened? Or has it always been like this and I simply never new it? Where's the flavor, uniqueness, or coziness? America is a culture bubbling with ingenuity and creativity but I can't help but to think that it is difficult to believe the creative mind of another Picasso will emerge from the blandness of one of America's suburbs.
On this trip I am enroute to Mexico for a tournament. The trip featured a one night layover in Miami with a connection in Houston the following day before arriving in Ixtapa, Mexico. While gliding over the scenic coast of the Gulf of Mexico I couldn't help but to notice the multitude of pre-fabricated homes built in neslted communities each featuring a cul de sac and manicured green lawns and nicely paved driveways. Growing up I rode my bicycle through neighborhoods like this thinking that this was where the rich people lived. Now I simply laugh at the notion.
I find it odd in a country where people at one time seemed so frightened of communism, that now they all live in a world where almost everything looks the same every place you go.
Every shopping center features Borders Books or Barnes and Noble, Starbucks or Caribou Coffee, Tommy Hilfiger or Ralph Lauren. Shopping malls lined with miles and miles of yellow painted parking spots sheltered by nothing.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy many of the beautiful conveniences and pleasures that these places have to offer. I'm one to visit starbucks.com before any trip to find the nearest location so I can consume my favorite mocha or Estema blend and I can't get enough of chipotle's chicken burittos when I make a stop in the States.
My question is, what the hell happened? Or has it always been like this and I simply never new it? Where's the flavor, uniqueness, or coziness? America is a culture bubbling with ingenuity and creativity but I can't help but to think that it is difficult to believe the creative mind of another Picasso will emerge from the blandness of one of America's suburbs.

1 Comments:
Andrew
Nice writing, I can't help but think of Grandma Duclos as I read your comments of the blandness of America. She would totally agree with you. Thanks also for the call on Sat. we both appreciated that.
Love you
Mommy
Post a Comment
<< Home