Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Land of the fat, home of the bypass

Don't get me wrong, I love America I really do. It's my home, it's where I learned to play baseball, ride a bike and developed a love for democracy and fast food. But sometimes when I travel here and look around I think to myself....'self, this place is weird!'. Let me explain myself:

First, the majority of the population is, to put it simply, fat. It's just a whole lot of big fat people sweating in their giant cars and talking loud. The free market capitalistic approach has supplied Americans with an endless buffett stretching from sea to shining sea. Eating at restaurants in America is a simple solution to a fast paced life. One can simply stop in and grab a large plate of tasty food full of calories for a fairly reasonable price. Economically speaking I can't blame anyone for eating out on a regular basis.

The restaurants, and not just fast food chains, constantly market themselves as having more of their tasty morsels for a lower price. Americans, always loving a bargain and never wanting to be cheated stuff themselves trying to get their money's worth at every sitting. I should know, I do it as well!

On the other side of the food chain is a large market that has exploded in recent years pushing various weight loss methods from prescription medications to surgeries, to various dieting methods. It is giant industry honed in on fat people who don't feel good about themselves. To make matters worse the media is constantly reporting on increases in diabetes and heart disease. The country is literally feeding, eating, and spending itself to death.

In this great land of democracy and supply and demand I simply wonder why more fat people simply don't demand...well less supply??????????

Imagine a restaurant that is 40% cheaper but serves you 40% less food at each sitting. I imagine I am overlooking something with regard to restaurant profits, but am I so out of touch to think that nobody would lose out. Restaurants would save on food costs, customers would spend less, and eat less. The biggest loser of course would be the weight loss industry, but come on, would'nt we still need them to lose a few more pounds? Afterall, there's a whole lot of fat over here that needs to be burned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home