Weather
Before departing for the current trip I'm on there were threats of Hurrican Dean putting an end to any of my travel plans. Information, however, was scarce and it slowly occured to me that these storms are so volotile that weather experts simply don't know which direction they will head.
I ended up missing Dean, or catching the remnants of it once it had been disapated by the landfall of Mexico. Dean struck the east side, I was on the west side. When I landed there was significant rain but nothing to cancel a trip over. Beside, they still played baseball.
I departed Mexico on Saturday afternoon and spent an evening in Miami before departing for the Dominican Republic, which is where I am residing at the moment. When I went to bed, Felix was a tropical storm bearing down on Aruba. When I woke up Sunday morning Felix had undergone massive growth and became a category 1 hurricane. By the time my plane landed and I arrived at my hotel Felix had become a category 5 hurricane!
Now I just saw Henriette, which is only a tropical storm, skirting the western coast of mexico only a few miles out from where I was working in Zihuatenejo.
This weather is really a helpless situation. I can't control when planes go and when they don't. I simply rely on the airlines and that they won't fly you into a hurricane. That doesn't however take into account that they will transport a person if they can get the plane in there. They won't however refrain from getting you there if inclimate weather may arrive while you are on the trip. Additionally, you don't have a choice of getting your money back if you decide you shouldn't go.
Maybe i'm over reacting. I've never been in a real serious storm that I remember but I couldn't help but to be amazed as I looked south over the carribean seas during the drive from the airport in Santo Domingo to the city center, that out there someplace was a big storm and here I was only a 'short' way from it acting as if life was normal. It really is a big world.
I ended up missing Dean, or catching the remnants of it once it had been disapated by the landfall of Mexico. Dean struck the east side, I was on the west side. When I landed there was significant rain but nothing to cancel a trip over. Beside, they still played baseball.
I departed Mexico on Saturday afternoon and spent an evening in Miami before departing for the Dominican Republic, which is where I am residing at the moment. When I went to bed, Felix was a tropical storm bearing down on Aruba. When I woke up Sunday morning Felix had undergone massive growth and became a category 1 hurricane. By the time my plane landed and I arrived at my hotel Felix had become a category 5 hurricane!
Now I just saw Henriette, which is only a tropical storm, skirting the western coast of mexico only a few miles out from where I was working in Zihuatenejo.
This weather is really a helpless situation. I can't control when planes go and when they don't. I simply rely on the airlines and that they won't fly you into a hurricane. That doesn't however take into account that they will transport a person if they can get the plane in there. They won't however refrain from getting you there if inclimate weather may arrive while you are on the trip. Additionally, you don't have a choice of getting your money back if you decide you shouldn't go.
Maybe i'm over reacting. I've never been in a real serious storm that I remember but I couldn't help but to be amazed as I looked south over the carribean seas during the drive from the airport in Santo Domingo to the city center, that out there someplace was a big storm and here I was only a 'short' way from it acting as if life was normal. It really is a big world.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home