Monday, April 24, 2006

A Good Story....In Two Parts

Part 1:
In 2003 I spent my first season in the German Bundesliga as a player for the Cologne Cardinals. My contract paid me a room in an apartment with two other clowns a small car, and a pocket full of Euros. The cash portion of the contract was split between two clubs, Cologne and something called Zulpich. Zulpich was a 3rd division team in a small town about 20 minutes outside of Cologne. Very much like Kingston, Minnesota for all of you Northern natives. My job was manager of this club. So every Tuesday I would venture out for practice in Zulpich while Saturday was game day. All the other days I played for Cologne.

While at an away game with Zulpich in some dinky Germanic town about 3 hours north of Cologne I was filling out the lineup card when one of my players rushed into the dugout. Achim Gorsch was his name. Achim, from what I gathered was married, father of some kids, and an amateur trumpet player. "Running a little late Achim" I said..."Yeah, I was at my daughters birthday party so I stuck around home then flew up here." he replied. Achim was a hell of a nice guy and not too mention as long as they were there before the first pitch i didn't care too much...it was the German 3rd division after all. "Yeah, the autobahn is great eh?" I asked rhetorically. Achim said, "No, I really flew. I'm a pilot filling in my training hours so I can fly during the day." He went on to add that he had purchased a mall 4 seat plane with some friends, like buying a car, and uses it to train for his license. Immeidiately the game became second in my mind.

After the game I flew home with Achim and two other teammates. One of which was the guy who sits in the back of fighter jets. I got the front seat though...I guess it pays to be coach.

When we approached the small airstrip we discovered it was closed. Apparently regulations prohibited landing after a certain hour to keep noise down in residential area. So we diverted to Cologne/Bonn International. I had the headphones and everything, it was rad! (who still says rad?). We landed behind a passenger jet, which I might add is much more intimidating from behind in the air than when sitting in it.

Part 2:
So I'm strolling out of Cologne/Bonn airport this afternoon after a flight from Prague. I used Cologne as a base because it operates two of Europe's cheapest airlines. I used germanwings from Prague with a connection on HLX 5 hours later to Pisa. During the layover I went into Cologne and had a kid workout for me.

So...I'm strolling through the airport and I hear, "Andy Johnson" as if I were walking down Sibley Avenue in Litchield. I look up and see this guy setting down his espresso at the coffee bar, and its Achim Gorsch!. Decked to the nines in his pilot get up sipping an espresso like some actor in an old film.

We get to chatting and I discover that Achim is the copilot on my plane that night to Pisa.

So upon boarding I meet the pilot and chat it up in the cockpit a bit. During the flight Achim gives me a special greeting over the PA during the in flight info session. Upon landing the captain nonchalantly says over the address system, "Andy, over to your left is the old ballpark in Pisa"(as you fly into Pisa on your left is the ballpark at the Olympic Training center). All the Germans on board didn't quite understand what he said so I just sat and giggled to myself in my seat like an 8 year old who got some special attention.

Now, Achim is a bit older than me and I didn't even bother to ask if he was still playing baseball, but I was one proud coach to learn that one of my boys had accomplished what he had set out to do.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andrew
What a wonderful story, it brought tears to my eyes, and it also gave me the biggest urge to want to hug you. I miss you today.

Love Mom

Tuesday, April 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

internationalbaseball.blogspot.com is very informative. The article is very professionally written. I enjoy reading internationalbaseball.blogspot.com every day.
toronto payday loan
bad credit loans

Tuesday, November 24, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

When ever I surf on web I never forget to visit this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Plenty of useful information on internationalbaseball.blogspot.com. I am sure due to busy scedules we really do not get time to care about our health. In plain english I must warn you that, you are not serious about your health. Recent Research shows that almost 90% of all USA adults are either chubby or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Its true that we all can't be like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox, and have sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? Quick weight loss can be achived with little effort. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am author of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010  
Anonymous achim gorsch said...

Andy, great story and all true except one thing: I was at the time a professional trumpet player, not amateur....how are you by the way?
wanna keep in touch? send me an email: achim@gorsch.de
It would be fun to hear from you!
cheers,
achim

Thursday, June 21, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://technologiesuae.com/#pill xanax gg 256 side effects - xanax side effects nausea

Thursday, March 21, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home