Airports Suck
I spend a lot of time in airports. Usually I don't mind the experience. I browse shops, look for the best coffee, or find a quiet spot to do some work.
Quite possibley the best airport in the world is Schipol in Amsterdam. It is easy to navigate, loaded with shops, and is very well maintained and clean. Klm is their main operator and generally run in a timely fashion with good customer service and a friendly disposition.
Currently, as I write this I am experiencing what is most likely the worst airport experience of my life. I'm at the Santo Domingo International Airport in the Dominican. I spent most of the day scouting in 95 degree heat with fairly intense humidity so my body odor and sense of cleanliness is virtually nonexistent. I arrived 3 hours early for the flight on the recommendation of a colleague and was greeted with a massive line to check in.
After 1 hour of standing in line and virtually moving backward (it seems there are many relatives travelling together and most people were simply holding spots for the group) I entered the terminal. Here I learned my flight was 30 mins late. No problem.
1 hour later we were delayed from an originally departure time of 4:35pm to 7:35pm, it is now 8pm and I won't be on a plane for what they say is another 1 hour and 30 mins, so 9:30pm. the only way I know any of this is because we simply havn't departed.
Communication is nonexistent and the volume of 180 unhappy Dominicans is not something I want to experience again soon.
On this current trip I have dodged hurricanes Dean, henriette, and Felix. To make matters more worrisome there is a large 'tropical disturbance' off the south easter coast of the U.S.
I was planning on getting into Miami Wednesday evening at a relatively decent hour so I could enjoy a workout and get some paper work done at the hotel. Then enjoying a long morning before departing on a 15 hour tour back home. Now I'm just hoping to get to Miami by morning!
Quite possibley the best airport in the world is Schipol in Amsterdam. It is easy to navigate, loaded with shops, and is very well maintained and clean. Klm is their main operator and generally run in a timely fashion with good customer service and a friendly disposition.
Currently, as I write this I am experiencing what is most likely the worst airport experience of my life. I'm at the Santo Domingo International Airport in the Dominican. I spent most of the day scouting in 95 degree heat with fairly intense humidity so my body odor and sense of cleanliness is virtually nonexistent. I arrived 3 hours early for the flight on the recommendation of a colleague and was greeted with a massive line to check in.
After 1 hour of standing in line and virtually moving backward (it seems there are many relatives travelling together and most people were simply holding spots for the group) I entered the terminal. Here I learned my flight was 30 mins late. No problem.
1 hour later we were delayed from an originally departure time of 4:35pm to 7:35pm, it is now 8pm and I won't be on a plane for what they say is another 1 hour and 30 mins, so 9:30pm. the only way I know any of this is because we simply havn't departed.
Communication is nonexistent and the volume of 180 unhappy Dominicans is not something I want to experience again soon.
On this current trip I have dodged hurricanes Dean, henriette, and Felix. To make matters more worrisome there is a large 'tropical disturbance' off the south easter coast of the U.S.
I was planning on getting into Miami Wednesday evening at a relatively decent hour so I could enjoy a workout and get some paper work done at the hotel. Then enjoying a long morning before departing on a 15 hour tour back home. Now I'm just hoping to get to Miami by morning!

1 Comments:
Good words.
Post a Comment
<< Home