Friday, December 05, 2008

Revisiting The Past

We all have memories of a time in our life was ideal, or at the very least we remember it as ideal. I would venture to say these idealistic periods of a persons life usually involve a pretty girl or handsome young man, travelling, or great success in one's professional life.

I'm lucky, I've had a few idealistic periods in my life and yes they mostly surround a pretty girl, travelling, and professional success.

Oddly, all of my idealistic periods take place in the 90's or early 00's. I don't idealize much of anything in the 80's. Mostly we just make fun of those periods. It makes me wonder sometimes if we are indeed living in a current version of the 80's. My guess is that the internet will never allow a period to be so bland as the time when a BETA seemed like a good idea or ATARI was cutting edge.

If I had to rank the best periods of my life (excluding the present and future as I am an optimist) number one would no doubt be living in Brisbane, Australia. I had virtually no responsibilities outside of playing baseball and having fun. I met my wife there, enjoyed fairly cheap beer, and dipped into the ocean for the first time (I found he last bit frightening to be honest. It makes me wonder, who was the first person to paddle away from a shore line into a 10 foot break thinking, This will be fun?).

The second best period had to be my two seasons in Germany. Again, very little responsibility outside of playing baseball and finding time for flights up to Norway to visit my future (now current) wife. The first season I lived with two very zany individuals who were equally devoted t baseball and extremely more interested in drinking, but I did my best to keep up. I virtually laughed for 5 months.

My second season in Germany was a little more tame. I was the manager of the team that year and lived on my own in a hotel. I was privy to a fantastic breakfast each morning, pool and sauna access whenever I wished, and a russian made service which cleaned my room each morning....maybe that should be number 1?

So I'm off on a series of visits to local coaching clinics over the next few weekends. First stop Vienna which spawned these thoughts. I'm hoping to cross paths with a lot of my friends from my not-so-distant past and hopefully build on my current strides toward a new ideal period in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home